[Public-List] Oily Bilge

dan walker dsailormon at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 20:26:33 PDT 2007

mike
  i scooped all of that sand out of mine, then used a shop vac to get as much out as possible, poured water in to loosen as much as possible of the remainder and vac'd that out a few times. allowed to dry, then poured a layer of expoxy on top of that spot, epoxied in pieces of dry oak--cut to fit as well as i could, then put a layer of glass over all of that. i extended the glass up about six inches . i did not paint the lower bilge because somewhere i read about paint that flaked off and jams up the bilge pump at inopportune moments.

  the sand and corroded  wood i pulled out filled a two gallon bucket about 3/4 of the way up.

  after doing all that , i am not sure just getting the grunge out and stopping might not have been all i needed to do.
  dan
  rascal 145

Mike Dwyer <mdwyer at dejazzd.com> wrote:
  Thanks George,
I appreciate your suggestions. In searching the archives I was some what
reassured after learning others have faced similar conditions and both boat
and owners survived.
Thanks, Mike