[Public-list] Replace an old depth sounder with a new Raymarine?

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Wed Jun 27 19:23:03 PDT 2007

Greetings, All,

I'm wondering about replacing a very old Standard Horizon DS 2 depth
     sounder with a newer one-- the Raymarine ST40. (They don't make
     the St. Hor. any more and there are no current transducers of
     that same size, apparently.)

The old one has a 2" wide (at the threads) transducer. The ST40's
    transducer is of the same dimention. Would there be any reason to
    suppose a simple switch would produce problems? Needed holes would
    be the same size. (That is new transducer + new Raymarine
    display.)

The old DS and transducer basically work fine EXCEPT that the
    transducer has a hairline crack across its bottom (in the water,
    facing the seabed) and we occasionally loose readings when the
    wire in the back of the display wiggles loose. The boat's out of
    the water now so it could happen. (Have the spare $224 that WM is
    asking for the Raymarine getup.)

Many thanks, again, for comments--

Best Wishes,