[Public-list] Gleaned from another board

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 28 04:57:33 PDT 2007

Owner was having power problems.  His Yanmar 1GM would not reach full power.  He replaced his fuel lines and filters, checked the prop, stuffing box, cleaned the fuel pick up tube and finally brought in a mechanic.

"For your amusement, the Yanmar mechanic did almost all the things one should to try to find out why I have lost power on my new GM10 in my CD25D: fed fuel directly to the lift pump by passing the filters, changed filters and finally changed out the lift pump on my "new" 50 hour run in GM10. No changes in max rpm in forward power - still only 2300 rpm, still missing and rough. Finally, changed out the primary filter holder next to the engine. I had a spare because of stripping the threads on the bleed screw in the old engine. Put the filter holder in and - engine runs smooth, reaches max rpm under load (3400 Rpm in forward gear) and is just like it was new last year. It looks like the plastic bleed screw washer was distorted, allowing a little bit of air in and not letting the engine reach full power. Second time this has happened! Very hard to see. Beware!"

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT 35

IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs.