[Public-list] hull thickness

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 11 14:09:13 PDT 2007

Depending on the size and placement of the forward water tank, there
might be room in front of the panel under the vee-birth and aft of the
tank. I have mounted a depth sounder there on the centre line. It is not
quite vertical, but about 11°  off,  aiming forward. That gives a bit of
distortion but not much and is equal for both tacks. I tried this
sounder  in an oil bath first and it would not read through the hull. I
think it depends on who was working the day your hull was laid up as to
how thick it is and hulls tend to be at least 1/2" in most places.
Epoxy and fairing the installation on the forward edge has made this
just fine for water flow around it and it is waterproof. I have not had
a problem with slings catching the transducer on liftout with this and
we do lift the boat every year. We do tie the straps though.
    I used a 1/4 inch drill from the inside as a locator and drilled
with a hole saw from the outside for the final position. It is a
compromise between vertical and easily faired into the hull line.
    Don't forget to calibrate the new instrument after installation to
know how deep things really are when the bottom gets to be close to the
surface of the water! If you are off centre, then any heel will affect
the reading for actual depth.
    Having the transducer in a bath means that you need to have the
fluid level in that box such that the transducer is always under the
surface. This means there can be no leaks and that the "through hull"
fitting has to be installed in the lid before the lid of the box is
affixed. If you ever need to get the fitting out, it is a total
deconstruction project that will leak fluid everywhere, and from what
research I have done, oil, or at least fluids with viscosities greater
than water are a better medium than water to transmit the signal. Your
call though.
Don # 528