[Public-list] Weighty Issues

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Jun 15 06:51:32 PDT 2007

Sorry about the blank return - I hit the wrong button...

Here are a few observations...

That is a lot of gear on your stern!  Trimming down by the stern has very
little or no effect on weather helm - that only happens in vessels with long
straight keels with no cut-away forward; yacht-shaped boats like ours are
not steered by fore and aft trim like sailing ships.  Your weather helm is
almost certainly caused by either a worn out mainsail (too much draught
spoiling the balance) or too much rake in the mast. Try removing rake first
- adjusting the turnbuckles is cheaper than buying a new mainsail!

What all that weight in the stern will do is exacerbate the 'hobby-horsing'
tendency boats with bow and stern overhangs can suffer from.  I am sure we
have all experienced situations where in light airs you have finally got the
boat gliding along until a wake starts the boat pitching...and she bobs up
and down several times - and stops.

A30's are narrow sterned and cannot put up with the gear that 'fat' sterned
yachts pile up back there and still sail well.  I'd do some head scratching
about how to remove gear from the stern - the result will be a much much
sweeter sailing boat.  I always preach that setting your boat up so she will
sail well is a safety issue.  If a boat is dragged down by the stern to the
point where she is incapable of sailing to windward in a chop, then she is
much more likely to fail her owners if she is ever in a situation where she
has to claw off a lee shore.  Yes, your engine could save the day - but it
is not good seamanship to count on that.

Moving your batteries up 18" will have a measurable negative effect on your
boat's stiffness and ability to carry sail - but her ultimate stability
curve will be virtually unchanged so ultimate safety will not be materially
diminished.

This spring I cleaned out our stern locker, which for the last several years
has been the place we store line.  I removed over 100lbs of rope - and
enjoyed a dramatic improvement in both trim and sailing performance.

Gord #426 Surprise