[Public-list] depth sounder puzzle

Jay Davenport jay at saildriver.com
Tue Jun 26 04:26:33 PDT 2007

Gordon,

  My depthfinder does the same thing (ie: works accurately most of the time, but occasionally reads much shallower than it should). I have come to the conclusion that there are bottom or water conditions in some places which cause a bad signal.

  Jay Davenport
  Revolution, A30 #526

Gordon White <gewhite at crosslink.net> wrote:
  I was out this weekend for the first time this season and everything
seemed to work o.k - depth sounder, speed meter, auto pilot, etc. The
depth sounder has always been a foot on the conservative side - reads
six feet where there are actually seven from the surface. I checked this
in the slip with a pvc pole with a small plate on the end so it does not
go down in the mud and mislead me - Everything was fine.

The depth readings just outside the slip were fine - 4.5 to 6 feet
(actual depths 5.6-7) but about 150 yards down the creek the depth
sounder began reading 1.5, 2. 1.5 feet. etc. Obviously it's not that
shallow or I'd have been pretty hard aground. The actual dept in that
stretch are 5.5 - 8 feet at that state of the tide.

The shallow readings continued for 3/8 of a mile, then went back to
what they should be and remained o.k. all day until I rerturned and in
the same stretch of my creek (Moore's Creek off the Piakatank Rover) I
got extremely shallow readings in the same stretch. It read accurately
when I got back in my slip.

Anyone have any suggestions? At first I thought it was a glitch in the
instrument, but now I doubt that.

- Gordon White
Brigadoon II