[Public-list] Original Muffler

Bill Newman newman423 at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 12 11:14:46 PDT 2007

My #233 still has the original muffler which consist of an iron pipe, wrapped, I suppose, in asbestos and a hose that sends water to the muffler in the stern locker.  At the moment everything seems fine but it is hard to believe that a 39 year old piece of wrapped pipe can last much longer.  The fact that the boat has never been in salt water may help.  My concern is how to get the manifold bolts out.  With a car, heat or drilling may be the answer but given the enclosed space and proximity of the gas tank, this would seem to be out of the question.
Has anyone had any experience with this.  Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Also when I was thinking of doing it last season Mike Lehman suggested a Vetus muffler but I haven't been able to find the model number he gave me.  If anyone knows that I would appreciate getting it again.

Bill Newman

Bill Newman
Marion Rose III, #233