[Public-list] muffler pipe

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Tue Mar 13 16:54:26 PDT 2007

DO NOT USE black iron or galvanized in the muffler system. If you ever
have a muffler break - as we did  - you'll never forget it. First,
assume you are out on the Bay in a dead calm and have to motor:  You
will need to get the exhaust cooling water overboard before the boat
fills up. You may be able to cobble up a way to do that, as we did. But,
you are not likely to have a way to get the exhaust overboard from stuff
you have on  the boat in the middle of the Bay. By the time you get to a
marina the boat will be filled with oily soot that will get on and in
everything.  It will take months, maybe years, to find all the places
that soot went. It will ruin clothes for a long time as new crevices
give up their black gunk.
 Exhaust gases corrode iron. A prior owner saved a few bucks using
galvanized. We paid the price.

- Gordon White
Brigadoon II