[Public-list] muffler pipe

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue Mar 13 17:05:53 PDT 2007

Gordon White wrote:
> DO NOT USE black iron or galvanized in the muffler system. If you ever
> have a muffler break - as we did  - you'll never forget it.

I think that you can have a break with any material, if you leave it
long enough.  The last time I replaced my exhaust, it was because the
flange rusted and blew out, not the pipe.  No matter what you use, you
have to inspect it regularly (and replace as needed) if you don't want
failures under way.

On the other hand, I've found that engine failures are an excellent way
to hone your sailing skills.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.