[Public-list] muffler pipe

Drenning drenning at erols.com
Tue Mar 13 19:54:29 PDT 2007

George, Gordon,

I have to agree all things are subject to failure.  On my boat the
muffler system was stainless steel and it failed and since the failure
was prior to the cooling water being introduced we almost burnt the boat up!

When I went to rebuild the exhaust system I talked to Dr. Bruce Rankin.
He had just finished rebuilding his and he used black iron, so that was
the material I used in mine.

I realize when the A30's were converting to the water lift system Bob
Marshall engineered a muffler system using bronze, and
to the best of my knowledge none of these have failed.  I do not
remember why Bruce did not want to use bronze, I seem to recall that he
said the bronze was subject to becoming hard and brittle due to the heat
BUT please check this out.
Pat