[Public-list] Cockpit drains above water line

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Tue Mar 13 21:02:27 PDT 2007

Hi folks,

I'll be replacing my cockpit drain plumbing soon - I plan to remove the
current gate valves and through hulls.  I'm pretty sure I'll also
replace the drains in the corners of the cockpit with larger ones - the
originals look to be 1" or slightly less.  I like the 1-1/2" bronze
Perkos (installed them on another boat), but will have to make sure the
above deck flange fits - I think it will.

Anyway, on to my real question:  I'm thinking about plumbing the
cockpit drains so they exit above the waterline, and I'm wondering if
anyone else has done that.  I did search the list archives and find a
couple of posts from 2002, in which the idea was discouraged, but
nothing since then.

I've nothing against through-hulls in general, as I believe that good
quality seacocks, well-installed, are fine.  On the other hand, cockpit
drain seacocks are the one case in which you cannot close the seacock
when the boat is unattended, and certainly no seacock is as safe as a
solid spot of glass in the hull :-)

Crude measurements show that there is probably something like 8+" from
the cockpit drain holes to the resting waterline.

I did quite a bit of cruising on a boat that had the cockpit drains
exiting above the waterline (not an A-30), and it worked pretty well.
They left the cockpit in the front corners - like on our boats - and
then hoses ran aft and exited the hull on the transom near centerline;
in this way they avoided the problem of dipping below the waterline
when heeled.  As a side bonus, the deep (below waterline) galley sink
drained by being pumped into one of the scupper lines (with a manual
bilge pump).

I may very well replace the original set-up (but with better parts and
larger lines), but there's no harm in exploring other possibilities in
theory, anyway.  Has anyone run their cockpit drains the way I'm
describing?

Thanks,

Rachel
1967 Alberg 30, #221