[Public-list] Cockpit drains above water line

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Wed Mar 14 07:23:28 PDT 2007

Mike,

I assume, because of the squatting Gord so abhors, some water collects in
the cockpit aft.  In "the more crazy Roger ideas that, fortunately for me
and my passengers, I probably won't get to before I die department",  I have
installed the hoses from the engine area (exhaust, manual pump, electric
pump) along the inside of the hull at the centerline.  I had thought of
raising the floor of lazarette a couple of inches (w/ FG panels except where
the hoses are which could be filled with self leveling silicone) and curving
the new floor so it would drain through openings in each side of the hull
forward.

It occurred to me the leeward hull might (probably) be under water but only
when the boat was moving at a decent clip.  So, I thought of one of those
self bailing cockpit drains I remember seeing on Sunfish but don't know the
minimum speed at which they remove water rather than add it.  I guess if one
doesn't care about having a little wedge of water inside the leeward side of
the Lazarette while healed, it isn't too big a deal but I also thought of
reversing one of those "L" shaped tubes (about 1/4" diameter and 2" at each
leg) one sees sticking out of airplanes (something to do w/ measuring air
speed, I think) thinking that would do a better job of sucking the water out
(besides, think of the stories I could make up about what those tubes do;
everything seems to hark back to steam propulsion).  I actually asked a
scientist neighbor to look into the tube thing but he didn't seem to share
my enthusiasm (insanity).

Soooo, one advantage of this scheme is holes could be drilled at the low
outside corners of the lazarette bulkhead so small volumes of "slope
sustaining" water could drain through the lazarette.  Having gravity
drainage isolated from the rest of the hull might also make storage of
materials that go "kaboom" a little safer but probably not to the extent one
would want to store cooking gas there.  Is it any wonder I don't sleep that
much?

Roger 148