[Public-list] Crossed drains (was ...drains above the water line)

Hugh McCormack hugh_alberg at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 17 12:34:29 PDT 2007

Good day Rachel,

I spent the best part of a year working for a fibre-glas boat builder
(sadly, not Whitby Boats!) when I was in university.  The boat line I was
helping to build had crossed cockpit drain hoses leading to transom through
hulls above the water line.  It was part of my job to crawl in under the
cockpit and fit the hoses to the drains after the deck was lowered onto the
hull.  It was explained to me that the crossing of the hoses was to
prevent/limit water coming in via the lower opening and flooding the cockpit
when the boat was heeled.  In other words if a transom drain was below the
water line when heeled the other end of the hose would be, by virtue of
being crossed, above the water line at the cockpit end.  Any water entering
the cockpit by any means would accumulate until its level was above the
level of the transom end of the other drain and then start to run out.  The
key is to make sure that the "upper" transom through hull is as close above
the waterline as possible, but not below, at the normal range of trim when
heeled.  As the boat's angle of heel lessens water would run out of both
drains.  I hope you can visualize this.  It would be a lot easier to
illustrate with a sketch.

The straight down drains in our Albergs mean that there is always water in
both hoses up to the level of the waterline when the boat is stationary.  I
suspect that during forward motion of the boat there would be a venturi
effect caused by the passage of water across the outside of the through hull
fittings and this would tend to draw down the waterlevel in the hoses.  In
the process it would accelerate the draining of the cockpit.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Hugh