[Public-list] Portlight Frame Replacement Options

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 27 06:38:38 PDT 2007

Hi Todd;
    Stainless does not obviate electrolysis. Because it is an alloy,
usually with nickel in it (which is very close to zinc on the activity
scale), it is very prone to electrolysis and in stainless they call it
crevice or tunnel corrosion. There have been examples of it in keel
bolts (found at Bristol Marine in Bronte, Ont) where they have twisted a
1" bolt off with less than 50 lbs of torque because the centre of the
bolt was completely gone. Tunnel corrosion in stainless is certainly one
of the main things one needs to be concerned about if  buying an older
boat, and one needs a really good surveyor to look for that.

Don