[Public-list] chainplates

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Mar 27 14:04:08 PDT 2007

Hi John -

Yes - making the chainplates thicker would spread the load so long as the
plate is angled so that the top surface of the hole is parallel with the
axis of the pin.  If it is at all off - you will still have point loading.

I shimmed the pins on my old boat...but to keep the tang on one end rather
than the middle.  I figured that it was better to have the load on a
supported end of the pin.

I think now that so long as the plate and the pin are of sufficient strength
incremental changes like those discussed above make no measurable
difference.

However, there is one difference that is worthwhile, although no instrument
can measure it.  When the wind is blowing 45kts, its raining, its 3am and
you don't know for sure if you are a mile or five hundred yards to weather
of a reef... You will sail better and be more likely to keep your boat out
of trouble if you FEEL CONFIDENCE in your rig.  If shimming, etc makes you
feel more confident in a rig that is already trustworthy and substancial,
well I would say that is  a good thing!

Cheers - Gord #426

PS I don't think I will be at the Blahs - sorry.  I am just back from a long
business trip followed by five days at DND in Ottawa.  I want to get to work
on my boat!  I am tackling the dreaded core-replacement job in the cockpit
sole this spring.