[Public-list] chainplates

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Tue Mar 27 12:36:27 PDT 2007

Hey Gord,

When replacing chainplates, would it not make sense to make them thicker so
the pin/tang has better support - they seem a tad narrow and I always wonder
whether they unnecessarily strain the forks as they end-up, without shims,
on one side or the other of the fork/tang - thus presumably exposing an
asymmetrical load ?

I shim mine with 6, 316 ss washers each, to reduce the problem and keep the
tang centred - your thoughts ?

Much appreciated, see you at the Blah's on Saturday in T.O. ?!

ATB

John