[Public-list] chainplates

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Mar 27 12:40:21 PDT 2007

Hi there -

The chainplates may have been bent when installed.  It is always best for
them to be installed in alignment with the loads they are subjected too; but
in keeping with the substancial but rough and ready construction of our
boats, the knees they are bolted too are often plumb rather than raked to
follow the angle of the stays.

Regarding the length....  the precise length of each fitted to our boats
likely has more to do with the mood of the guy cutting them that day than
design requirements.  There will be no loss of strength if some are slightly
shorter than others so long as the same number of bolts are used.

Cheers - Gord #426 Surprise