[Public-list] Laser level for bootstripe

Rod Symmes harmony at aztec-net.com
Thu May 10 18:38:48 PDT 2007

Roger;
    You are on the right track.  I used a laser level ( the kind that is self levelling and draws a horizontal line ) to raise my bootstripe a couple of years ago.  It was very time consuming to set up but I am very happy with the results.
Here are a few tips I figured out:
  1..  I set mine up on a camera tripod that had a crankup mechanism so I could adjust the height a few inches so I could mark both the bottom edge and the top without risk of disturbing the level.
  2.. As well as adjusting the height of the trailer hitch to level the boat fore & aft , set the level off the bow or stern and make sure you have the water line level from side to side.  I was surprised how much of an error this caused.  I had to jack up one side of the trailer.  Until you do this you will not be able to get a line that will be correct at the bow, stern & amidships.
  3.. Work in the shade or at dusk otherwise you will have great difficulty seeing the laser line.
  4.. I didn't bother with pencil marks - once set up I just laid the masking tape to the laser line
George is right about the varying width of the stripe so that it "looks" the same with all the way along - the laser level does a beautiful job of that once you have the boat all levelled up.

Good luck,  just be patient.

Cheers,    Rod