[Public-list] mainsheet questions

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue May 1 07:36:44 PDT 2007

Good morning -

I use a 3:1 mainsheet with the cleat 'upside down' like yours is.  I took
off the cam cleat and fitted a Spinlock PX cleat.  The advantage of the PX
is that they require very slight downward deflection to release; even under
high load.  Cam cleats, despite the claims of makers of ball bearing ones,
tend to get harder and harder to release as load goes up.

Downward releasing is good in keelboats because when you want to sheet in
and have the cleat grab, the natural angle is up... You don't have to haul
in and then struggle to snap the sheet down.  In dinghies the loads are
lower so the ergonomics don't matter so much.

We went to 3:1 because there is so much less sheet to mess with.  On the
rare occasions when the force required is too much, I untie the bowline on
and haul down the bitter end of the sheet and re-tie it on the other block
making 4:1.

Gord #426