[Public-list] thickness of large portlights

edward schroeder eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 1 11:42:24 PDT 2007

Addendum; I would also suggest 1/4 inch polycarbonate. Ed. Schroeder #303 Emotional Rescue

J Bergquist <jbergqui at gmail.com> wrote:  What is the thickness for the large portlights in the cabin? I
replaced the port side ones already with 3/16" Acrylite FF (which I
think is Lexan). I am going to do the STBD ones now, but I need to
know what thickness to get. When I did the port ones, I remember
thinking that 3/16" was too thin, but it was what I had.

I was thinking 1/4" or maybe 5/16". Help appreciated.

Also, what kind of material is the best thing to use? Polycarbonate?
Lexan? Are those the same thing? Plexiglass? I have found several
different kinds of clear acrylic at www.mcmaster.com. Would appreciate
any insight into what, exactly, is the best thing to use.

Finally, what kind of caulk is the best? I have heard that butyl
rubber is the thing to use with Lexan because polysulfide will react
with it in some unfavorable way...

Thoughts welcome!

J Bergquist