[Public-list] thickness of large portlights

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Tue May 1 16:21:33 PDT 2007

We have used 1/4" plexiglass with great success. 3/16" [original] is too
thin. I have used GE 35-years clear silicon and it works great for 25+
years. It is the only place on the boat that I would consider using silicon.
We done this job to dozens of boats. No sense in re-inventing the wheel. If
I was planning a lot of off-shore sailing, I would change to lexan for the
extra strength.

Mike Lehman