[Public-list] lazy guys

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Tue May 1 12:20:14 PDT 2007

During the more windy downwind sailing on Sunday, there were several
broaches and it was clear that many of us were having trouble keeping
the spinnaker under control. A number of people jib-reached. I was
thinking...there might be some things that can be done to help keep
the spinnaker more under control in windy conditions.

My thought is that anything you can do to stabilize the spinnaker will
help keep the boat under control. Having the guy coming out of a
fairlead well forward would help by pulling the pole more down and
keeping that stable. You need lazy guys for this. Also having a twing
for the sheet would help because it would increase leech tension by
making the sheet pull more down and less back on the clew, helping to
stabilize the leech of the spinnaker. Both of these are common
practice in boats both bigger and smaller than ours (J/22, Etchells,
Lightning, J/24, J/35, and 505 are all ones with which I have
firsthand experience...I have heard that it's common on Mumm 30's and
Farr 40's as well).

Is there anybody else who has tried this?

Later,

JB