[Public-list] water line/boot stripe

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu May 10 06:53:16 PDT 2007

John Malthouse wrote:
> Hi, I started what I thought would be a small hull repair and you geussed
> it, now a big job but repairs need to be repaired. I was looking for correct
> boot stripe measurements on the maintenance and disorganized site A30, but
> no luck. I havnt sanded of my red stripe yet and will take measurements
> first, but it doesnt look right and I was wondering if there is some info to
> compare too? any info appreciated, you can send direct to
> jmaltcontact at hotmail.com    thanks
>
> John
> MANNIN #452

John,

The problem with bootstripes is that they should look parallel to the
water, and even width, when seen from a distance when the boat is
floating.  This makes them sensitive to how heavily (and evenly) the
boat is loaded.  It also requires that they vary in width depending on
the angle of the hull, so that they look straight and even from a distance.

I do a lot of sighting down the masking tape when painting mine.  I've
never taken it completely off, so I haven't had to deal with locating it
vertically from scratch.

  - George
    Calypso, #543

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org