[Public-list] What to do with expired flares

Pete Staehling pete.staehling at gmail.com
Sun May 13 13:11:40 PDT 2007

My suggestion would be don't.  It never hurts to have extra flares.  If you
get in a situation where you need flares, use the old ones first.  Once we
had a medical emergency and we went through a lot of flares while the
incompetent rescue squad went in circles a couple miles away even though we
could see them and gave them our exact position.  We actually ran out of
flares and I think they would have never found us if the marine police
hadn't seen us from farther away and led them to us.