[Public-list] What to do with expired flares

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Mon May 14 05:11:33 PDT 2007

George Dinwiddie wrote:

>Actually, having never fired a marine flare, I think that would be
>wonderfully instructive.  It seems to me that we'd need to get the Coast
>Guard in the loop, also.  Probably they'd have to publish a blurb in the
>Local Notice to Mariners, to alert people to the fact that it wasn't an
>emergency.
>
>Contrary to Bob Kirk's suggestion, I *don't* recommend shooting them at
>the fireworks display.  Emergencies happen there, too, you know, and the
>marine police can tell the difference between fireworks and flares.  I
>saw them respond in short order, once, when someone fired a flare at the
>Baltimore fireworks.
>
>  - George

I have a mixed answer.  Having never fired a meteor arial flare or used
one of the hand-held flares, we used some old ones on Independence Day
last year (land locked event, not on the water) in amongst the
neighborhood more conventional fireworks. (note that I live in an area
where neighborhood fireworks are legal).

It was very instructional.  I second the recommendation that anyone who
has NOT actually used emergency pyrotechnics to find an opportunity to
learn what to expect.

Some things I learned that really need to be experienced, not just read
about:

the hand-helds get very hot and drip very hot molten metal

the hand-helds are VERY bright - they destroy your night vision for at
least TEN MINUTES.  I'm not talking about just making night vision less
efficient, I'm talking about not seeing much of anything but a red glow
in your eyes.

the 12 gauge arials are woefully pathetic; weak and short lasting and
not very high, we had a 33% failure rate on the ones we launched.  We've
since gone to 25 mm (which shoot higher, are brighter and I've at least
heard are more reliable), and I will be adding a parachute to the kit
when the budget allows.  (A friend told me they had a worse failure
rate, near 50% with a BUNCH of attempts from a whole club's worth of
expired 12 ga flares).

--
JohnR