[Public-list] While on the topic of wiring ....

Jack Vanderloo jvdloo at sympatico.ca
Tue May 15 11:43:32 PDT 2007

John, Kris and Jim,

Thanks for the collective advice.  The reason I approached the group for
possible practical experience was that Garmin had not replied to an
email sent 4 days prior.

Their response, just received:

"Yes you can cut and splice the cables for this unit.  I have verified
this with my supervisor and we have tried it here.  I am unsure why the
manual tells you otherwise."

Note there is no advice on shielding, soldering, etc.  Before one assumes I have the first clue about "shielding," or maintaining the integrity thereof - I don't.

So my question to Kris would be - is there a substantive difference between an "IT" data cable and that which would make up, and affect the treatment of, a "radar" data cable?

To Jim - I would presume the cable is fixed (wired, not user diddle-able) into the scanner and has only the one 1.25" connector at the screen.  If it was diddle-able, that would be the way to go.  But there is stil the issue of unstepping the mast, etc.

To John - the A37 is keel-stepped, so the junction box would be below decks.

Cheers
Jack
ex KC641