[Public-list] Rebuild/Repower/Upgrade to Diesel

dickdurk at atlanticbb.net dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Tue May 15 15:41:13 PDT 2007

>when I look at the 40+ years of service our Gray put
>in before croaking,

the final nail in Checkmate's A4 was rotten metal in the
block (25+ years of Chesapeake Bay water cooling). The
head that required double gasketing for a seal was
probably addressable, but when custom machined head bolt
studs are needed to find 'meat' in the block...

My point is bearings, rings, valves, etc. don't really get
you a new engine-not with the life style of a typical
sailboat engine.

I don't have a hard and fast solution for an investment
that has no financial return (as someone posted) but in
the pro side of the list for diesal 1. lower insurance
rates 2. eliminating flammable (except for stove fuel) and
replacing with combustable.

MichaelGrosh