[Public-list] Outboard Engines

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Wed May 16 07:52:37 PDT 2007

Derrick Serrer wrote:

>Hello all,
>  I have entered into an agreement to purchase a 1966 A30 that was posted on this site. The boat was advertised as having an outboard motor on a bracket as the A4 had been pulled for rebuild and never replaced. I soon found out that the current owners (extremely helpful couple) do not use the outboard and never have. They sail it off of the dock. I hate the idea of drilling holes in the transom to add a motor bracket but in order to get it to where I need it, I have to have some type of engine (tides, currents, ships, and tight quarters) My question is does anyone use an outboard that is mounted on a bracket? I did manage to find one picture on the web of this. How difficult is this to install considering the angle of the transom, distance off of the water etc, and how difficult is this to use? In my mind this will only be a temporary solution as I would eventually like to find an older rebuildable diesel that I can install.
>  Thank you
>  Derrick

Hi Derrick,

When I purchased #521 a few months ago, she also had her A4 removed and
a PO had installed an outboard on a bracket on the stern.  I'll be happy
to snap some pics for you next time I am at the boat if no one gets you
some first.

A few words about this arrangement.  It's not the easiest boat on the
world to maneuver with a stern mounted outboard.  The laz is long enough
and the ob has to sit so low (I have a Johnson Sailmaster long shaft)
that it is hard to reach the engine controls while maintaining a hand on
the tiller.  It CAN be done.  Certainly, a Yamaha style ob with throttle
and shift controls on the ob tiller would be better, or even better is
an ob with remote cables for throttle/shift.

I'm not sure how complicated it was to install, but you might want to
look into Gellinas' side-mounted ob bracket.  It was easily controllable
from the cockpit and might preclude you having to drill into your
transom.  Here's a link:

http://www.capehorn.com/sections/remotorisation/remotoriserAng.htm

--
John S. Riley, Ph.D.