[Public-list] engine rebuild

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Wed May 16 10:05:10 PDT 2007

Mark Bisset wrote:

>Are there any Albergs powered with electric engines?

Not sure about Albergs with electrics, but have you seen this project:

http://renegade-cruisers.net/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7106&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=electric+drive+project

IIRC, it was a 37 ft boat.  His first attempt was powering with one 48 V
motor.  He got about 4 kts at 30 amps (top power on the motor was 120
amp) and ran into some overheating issues.  Last I read, he was planning
to switch to a 60 V dual motor setup.

I really liked at first the idea for the theoretical space and weight
savings, but with all those batts plus a genset, and the lower than
expected performance, the numbers are not working out for me.

--
John