[Public-list] Plywood Hatch Cover

Robert Kirk isobar at bcpl.net
Sun May 20 15:18:32 PDT 2007

The sliding companionway hatch cover on Isobar is a piece of gently curved
plywood with wooden endpieces. I had to build one new endpiece this year
and repair the other one. That’s OK, but what happens if the main plywood
top goes?

It’s ¾ inch good Baltic plywood that has been curved to match the curve of
the coachtop. If I ever have to replace it, how do I bend  ¾ plywood? Did
Whitby originally steam them? Can it be done? I suppose I could always make
it flat and raise the sides using filler pieces.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181