[Public-list] Plywood Hatch Cover

Hugh McCormack hugh_alberg at hotmail.com
Mon May 21 06:23:50 PDT 2007

Good morning Bob,

What you could do is build one out of three layers of good quality 1/4"
cabinet plywood that are laminated together over a frame built to the
curvature of the original.  1/4" ply is flexible enough for you to do this.
I would suggest building the new hatch 2" over size in length and width and
then cutting it to finished size with a bandsaw once the glue has cured.
This will ensure that you will have clean and perpendicular edges (you won't
if you just bend over exact size pieces).

If you cut several pieces of 1 X 6 in half along a line matching the profile
of the hatch you can build a top and bottom clamping frame that would
sandwich the ply layers in between.  This will also support the hatch as you
run it through the bandsaw.

Hope this is understandable.

Cheers,

Hugh McCormack