[Public-list] Awlgrip question for M Lehman

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Tue May 22 08:13:59 PDT 2007

Don,

I have been using Signature Finish (http://www.signaturefinish.com/) 3 part
epoxy.  I think George D. mentioned it on the page a few years ago saying
Practical Sailor had rated it highly.

It is made specifically for roll/brush on vs. spray, isn't temperature or
humidity sensitive, just needs air movement to cure.  Process is simple,
roll on about a 3' x 3' section each time and come back about 10 minutes
later and dry roll over the same spot.  It helps to have someone mixing the
brew while you do the painting.  Same safety precautions as using regular
epoxy; recommended work be done outside.  The 3rd part is "flow fluid", add
more, get thinner, shinier finish.  I has great success w/ 1st 2 hull coats
(dark blue) but, on the 3rd, didn't return soon enough for the dry roll and
got "orange peal".  So, sanded it off and now will probably need 2 more
coats (typical work process for me, 2 steps forward, 1 step back; boat
restoration sure teaches you patience).  I painted the deck white and will
add non skid in a mushroom color.

Company is in Florida and owned by Tom Fabula (great name) who personally
answers the phone until 10 at night; great resource for new bees like me.
He will match any color and ships everything you need, rollers, non skid
additive, sanding pads, masking tape, yada, yada.

I suggest you give him a call if you want the durability of epoxy but also
want to do it yourself.

Roger