[Public-list] blister repair

dickdurk at atlanticbb.net dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Wed May 23 04:46:12 PDT 2007

Hi Larry

Or...

get a couple needle/syringe sets from the Pharmacist. I
think my size was 28 or 30 guage-they are for horses (a
veterinarian size). Grind the insetion end bevel flat with
a whetstone.

Drill two holes vertically in each blister-just until
brown goopy stuff squirts out- with a drill size that
matches the syringe. Flush with solvent of choice-I used
acetone, but there are some blister theories that say
acetone is the cause of the blisters;which I don't buy
because acetone is too volatile to stick around for 40
years.

Anyway, squirt thickened polyester resin into bottom hole
until it comes out the top hole. Seal hole with even
thicker thickened resin. Let dry. Grind smooth.

You end up with a solid plug mechanically attached to the
hull.

On my boat, the blister formed a fraction of an inch from
the surface. These Alberg hulls are something like an inch
and a half thick, I know it is hard, but you don't need to
lose any sleep over your problem.

There you have two approaches. There are more.

MichaelGrosh