[Public-List] Design of derrick to raise Alberg 30 mast

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 29 07:40:23 PST 2007

Hello all,

  I am thinking about how I can beat the high cost of mast removal and re-stepping at haul out and splash times.  $150.00 each way over twenty years is 6K.  I am in the process of designing a cart to move the mast around easily on shore and down or to the dock. I would like to design something that one person can set up and operate.

  I know that Mike Lehman stores the derrick owned by the CBAA.  I understand that it is mfg of steel and is quite heavy and a bit unwieldy to set up. This might be a logical spring board to begin the new design process.  What works well and not so well about the current rig?

  Any one know the average mast weight with a head sail furler system?.............350 pounds?

  Collectively the Alberg 30 owners have more than enough brain power to come up with a light weight design for a derrick.  Then George can post on the website and we can all benefit.

  I could design a hinged mast Tabernacle and use a gin pole, but I still need to get the mast in position by myself. So if I need a derrick (or some such device) to position the mast from the dock or next to the boat to the deck, why not design said derrick to raise the mast as well?  Besides I am not sold on the hinged Tabernacle idea for this large a mast.

  OK, time to hear from all you Engineer types out there.  Seems like a good winter project to get this thing designed. Thanks in advance for your input.

  Michael Connolly
  #133 Lorrie Rose