[Public-List] furling

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Nov 26 06:54:03 PST 2007

Good morning Mark -

It was good seeing you yesterday.

I have not used a Simplicite system but here are a few comments.  It looks
like it has all the elements of a working outfit; the only comments I would
have are as follows:

- there is only one slot in the stay extrusion; that may not be important
but two are common.  Two slots give you a card to play if one is damaged;
two also allow you to set two headsails luff to luff for sailing downwind in
heavy weather.

- the round sectioned extrusion seems large, there will be a performance
penalty having that round sectioned extrusion at the leading edge of your
headsail.  To a cruising sailor that means that whatever ability you have to
beat to windward comfortably now, will be a little less.

Neither of those are fatal objections of course...

Surprise's furler has a small enclosed drum and a very thin extrusion with
two tracks - I like that.

Cheers -

Gord
#426 Surprise