[Public-List] Design of derrick to raise Alberg 30 mast

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu Nov 29 09:30:22 PST 2007

Michael Connolly wrote:
> I know that Mike Lehman stores the derrick owned by the CBAA.  I
> understand that it is mfg of steel and is quite heavy and a bit
> unwieldy to set up. This might be a logical spring board to begin the
> new design process.  What works well and not so well about the
> current rig?

It's not all steel.  I believe the legs are mostly aluminum.  See
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/SparsSailsRigging/UnsteppingMast/1-TheRig.html

It could be slightly taller, as the tackle ends up two-blocked.  Another
foot in length for the legs would be plenty, though.  It works quite
well as is.

I don't think I'd want to attempt it solo, however.  It's been done with
two, but I'd want someone to handle the tackle, someone to handle the
mast base, and someone to handle the inevitable tangles and snafus.
Things feel pretty dicey at the halfway point.  Having two people
footing the A-frame legs while raising it is also a good idea.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash