[Public-List] Selling A-30

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Tue Oct 2 07:29:42 PDT 2007

Hi Michael,

I've got a few reasons, but one of the main ones is that it's too nice!

I know that sounds weird, but I've discovered that I want to do some
customizing and experimenting. My A-30 is really clean and original and
so it seems a shame to do that on her, when there is such an
enthusiastic class association, and they are such good boats as is.

So, I'm just finishing up the (traditional-type - nothing weird!)
projects I started:  That is, I've put in all-new bronze through hulls
and seacocks, with fiberglass backing blocks; new hoses and AWAB
clamps; a new cutless bearing; new stuffing box hose; and a new fuel
tank.  I also made a very thorough upgrade of the deep bilge, by
removing the wood and concrete put in by Whitby and re-building it with
FRP board, biaxmat, and epoxy.  Now it's bullet-proof.

Although some here believe I'm a NEO Marine Architect ;-), I'm proud of
everything I've improved on her so far, and I did it all to a very high
standard and with the best materials (for keeping, not for selling).
I've nearly finished all my projects, and when I do I will sell her.
It's not without some misgivings, because they are wonderful boats, but
it's the right choice for me.  I guess I probably couldn't move into a
"perfect" condo either - I'm the type who has to buy a quirky cabin and
then remodel, so this boat is too original and clean for me.  Who knew?
  :-)

I hope that answers your question; thanks for asking.