[Public-List] jib shackle

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Sat Oct 20 14:47:17 PDT 2007

I was out for an afternoon  sail  Saturday and just at the time I turned
upwind to return,  the swivel snap shackle holding the jib sheets to the
jib, broke. Was pretty interesting for a few minutes, but I was able to
douse the jib (roller reefing) and power home. I now realize, after all
these years, that a snap shackle on the jib is a bad idea. No
redundancy. Better to have each sheet bent on separately.  If one lets
go you have another with which to control the sail.

In this case the pin holding the arm of the shackle, broke. Even a
lashing would  not have prevented the problem.

Gordon White
Brigadoon II # 275