[Public-List] Hot Cider Cruise

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 13:00:25 PDT 2007

Folks,

We had an excellent Hot Cider Cruise in Weems Creek last Saturday. The
weather broke around 1000 saturday morning and left us with a
cloudless, warm day followed by a nice, crisp evening...perfect for
enjoying hot cider. Boats participating included:

Calliope (Bergquist & Treadwell)
Warantoo (Harmon Van Der Woude & Dennis Kane)
Skybird (Townshend)
LinGin (Williams family, including Tim, Andrea, MacKenzie, Darcy and David)

The raft started at around 1600 and we whiled away the hours eating
cheese and cocktails while discussing a vast range of topics. I
brought my friends Luke and Susan Shingledecker along with my roommate
Will Hawkins and girlfriend Chelsea Treadwell. Luke was able to answer
a number of Towney's questions about what it's like to be a big-name
yacht designer (Luke works for Farr Yacht Design), including
discussion of the America's Cup, Volvo Ocean Race, solo
round-the-world racing, and production designs. Luke & Susan also
brought their home-built wooden kayaks which met with much ooh-ing and
aah-ing as they are spectacular.

Barry Miller and Vicki Lathom also came by car and joined us for
dinner. We had the cockpit of Calliope full to overflowing with
people, stories, and good cheer. Chelsea provided the chili and salad
for dinner as well as the cookies for dessert all of which was
devoured with many thanks and much gusto. The cider was enjoyed
particularly by the Williams children who had a seemingly insatiable
thirst for the stuff.

The following morning, we all made the short walk down to a packed
house at Regina's West Annapolis Deli for breakfast where we were met
by Mike & Trish Lehman who had ridden down on their bikes (who knew
the Lehmans were such enthusiastic cyclists? Not me!) This was the
first time any of us had been to Regina's and we were pleasantly
surprised with a great breakfast at a great price. Towney explained to
all of us the virtues of Consumer Reports and Mike L told the story of
the Yves Gelinas lecture and film from many years ago where he sold
out Maryland Hall to hear Yves narrate his movie about sailing around
the world on an Alberg 30.

Overall it was an exceedingly enjoyable cruise. Next year, we may try
to attend the Navy game as part of the cruise. Stay tuned for more
details on that.

See you on the water!

J Bergquist
Calliope #287