[Public-List] toe rail replacement

Theodore M. Liszczak tedliszczak at metrocast.net
Tue Oct 16 16:16:50 PDT 2007

John Scott wrote:

>I'm seriously considering replacing my toe rails and, while I'm at
>it, probably the combings and blocks as well.  My boat is a '65.  I'm
>not up to the task and will have a professional do the work.  Has
>anyone had this done and, if so, what can I expect for cost (I'm
>planning on sticking with teak)?
>
>Thanks
>
>John Scott

I just had a four foot section at the bow replaced by the local boat
yard. The section was ripped off because the mooring line was
continually lifting the chock up until the stainless steel bolts gave.
On mine a 1968 the chock was mounted directly on the toe rail. The chock
came up ripping the section from the deck. With the repair I had the
chock moved off the toe rail onto a block of teak inboard on the deck.
The total cost, I just paid the bill on Monday, was $646, for materials
and labor.  It was expensive, but I could not do it as nicely as *the
boatyard's* Master *Carpenter*.

Ted Liszczak
Freedom A-345