[Public-List] Yanmar, Volvo, Vetus, Universal, Westerbeke etc etc

Gary Barker eyewander at mac.com
Fri Oct 26 14:06:02 PDT 2007

John,
I have a rebuilt Atomic 4 that works just fine.  I use maybe a tank
and a half of gas a season and sail a few times a week throughout the
summer and fall.   So why invest $7-10 grand for a diesel?  I had
researched diesels because of people telling me that I was going to
blow myself up, but can't justify the expense.  I think it depends on
the kind of sailing you do, how long and how far you expect to be
away.  BUT if I were off to the Caribbean for a six month jaunt or
longer, I would get outfitted with a Beta.  Problem is expenses  just
start with the engine.  New shaft, prop bearings and in some cases
mounts.  Another nice reason for the Beta's

Gary