[Public-List] Engine removal

jon whittle at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 2 16:26:01 PDT 2007

Dear Peter,
             Unless there is some over-riding compelling reason to leave the shaft attached( I cannot come up with one myself at the moment), then the job becomes relatively simple once the shaft is de-coupled. Many Alberg owners have done it, self included, after much over-inflated trepidation about the difficulty of the exercise. Speaking for myself, the intimidating part is when you first open the engine locker and look at all that "stuff" in there. However my personal advice is to commence by stripping off as much wiring, tubes alternators starters etc as you can. This will, of course, lighten the lifting weight of the engine. Once the area is cleared then the job becomes much simplified. There is very good info from previous owners about the technique for actual removal so I won't go on about it here. Decoupling the exhaust may be the hard part due to corrosion but fear not! Oh now I remember one good reason to leave the shaft in place. If your boat is in the water it will go Glug Glug! when you pull the shaft out. Good luck. Jonathan Whittingham. EMMY.