[Public-List] Permanent mooring for A-30's

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Tue Sep 4 09:44:51 PDT 2007

Hi all,

We have considerable experience with concrete anchors for our facilities at
LaSalle Park Marina Association (LPMA) in Burlington, Ontario (freshwater).

May I suggest the following, get a good relationship with a concrete
company. Make you anchors out of end of day pours, the concrete companies
often have to our off unused concrete at the end of day so that it does not
harden in the trucks. Provide them with 1 - 1.5inch bronze rod bent in a
hoop with the ends tanged up to hold in the concrete and toss a couple of
rebars across the sunken tangs to boost holding in the concrete. Sort of an
inverted U with ears.

Our blocks are 4x2x2 feet in dimensions -weigh 2400lb dry and 1600 -1800 lb
wet and cost $25.00 each. Then hire a boom truck to bring it down. We use a
small barge to deploy them ourselves.

Use 1/2in chain to the float with SS wire moused and locktited shackles as
big as will fit inside the link.  We use Group 40 hot dipped galvanized
chain. Remember to put the shackle pin through the link, not the other way
round. The system will last decades.

If this system should fail you the bow would be long gone off your A-30
beforehand.

Suggestions for your consideration.

All the best

John, LPMA President