[Public-List] Engine Power Loss

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 11 19:46:56 PDT 2007

Brian,
  I would also check to see that the engine is getting proper fuel to the carburetor.  Especially check the fuel tank vent and line.
  Michael

George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at alberg30.org> wrote:
  Brian Hofler wrote:
> I have an atomic 4 that was rebuilt last year with all the bells and
> whistles including electronic ignition. When the transmission is in forward,
> neutral and reverse at the dock I get about 2000 RPM. However when I leave
> the dock I cannot get the RPM's over 1200 in forward. I have adjusted the
> transmission to ensure that forward and reverse gears are operating
> properly, I have replaced the plugs and scraped the barnacles off the prop
> (a Campbell proper specified for the A4, adjusted the main jet on the
> carburetor and tried to time the engine as best I can by loosing the bolt
> and advancing / retarding the distributor to time the engine properly. Is
> there something I have missed that will ensure that the engine runs at the
> correct RPM under load?

Brian, check that the wires are in the correct order. The engine will
actually run, though with reduced power, if a couple of the spark plug
wires are reversed.

- George

When I remember bygone days George Dinwiddie
I think how evening follows morn; gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
So many I loved were not yet dead, http://www.Alberg30.org
So many I love were not yet born.
'The Middle' by Ogden Nash