[Public-List] Engine Power Loss

Cole, Andrew L andrew.cole at llff.com
Wed Sep 12 04:47:58 PDT 2007

Brian,

It is puzzling that you can get power in gear at the dock, but not
underway.

This may be directly or indirectly a fuel quality issue.

If you have a fuel filter, yank the element and see if it's all full of
crud.  The ethanol gas in particular does not get along well with water
and will go bad quickly.  That can gum up your carb., or worse, stick a
valve.  If the filter is crud-filled, drain the tank, get a better
sealed filler cap, change the filter element and re-fill the tank.

If you have access to a compression tester, check each of the cylinders
to ensure you don't have a stuck valve.  These low compression 4cyl.
engines will run well enough on two cylinders to fool a mechanic into
thinking it's running normally unless he puts load on it.  If you don't
have a compression tester, you may be able to see the valves through the
spark plug holes, if so, you can check to see that each is moving up and
down on each pair of revolutions.

If you're lucky, neither is the case, but you may as well check to
eliminate possible causes.

Andrew Cole
Andante - 152

> When the transmission is in forward, neutral and reverse at the dock I
get about 2000 RPM.
> However when I leave the dock I cannot get the RPM's over 1200 in
forward.

>Brian - Putachieside - 496

Cole, Andrew L
Admitted in Maryland, Virginia & Florida
One Corporate Center
10451 Mill Run Circle, Suite 1000
Baltimore MD 21117

tel: 410 581-7408
fax: (410) 581-7410
mob: (410) 206-3577

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for public-list at lists.alberg30.org. If you are not public-list at lists.alberg30.org you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify andrew.cole at llff.com immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Cole, Andrew L therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.