[Public-List] Mainsail Outhaul

Bobby capricebob at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 28 12:18:56 PDT 2007

Thanks Don and J...lot's of food for thought (sadly, my brain quite peckish)

Don Campbell <dk.campbell at sympatico.ca> wrote:  I have an interior outhaul that is 10:1. It is relatively easy and I
have exits on both sides of the boom at the bridge deck. (Accessible on
a reach or run ) There is a small triple that is connected to the end of
the boom with non-stretch line. This line runs through two blocks, one
on the sail and one to go through the after end of the boom and into it
with a through deck. You need to cut some of the bolt rope groove off.
Then there is a small double that is anchored to the front of the boom
with a wire rope so that there is enough distance between the blocks
that the outhaul will work easily. The control is then through two
through deck blocks one on each side of the boom, but off set entries so
that there is not a big weak spot in the boom. That line goes from the
starboard side to the through boom, aft to the outside of the triple,
ahead to the double, aft to the centre of the triple, forward to other
side of the double, aft to the outside of the triple and forward to the
exit block on the port side. There are two small cam cleats on the boom
with levelling plates, one on each side to hold the line. It is easy to
access once the rivets are removed from the end plates on the boom and
drilled and tapped for bolts as they should be for safety sake in the
first place.
Don