[Public-List] Mainsail Outhaul

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Sun Sep 30 11:21:30 PDT 2007

Bobby

My lines are led back to the cockpit. Here is how  m outhaul works. the line to the clew starts at the aft end of the boom and goes to a block attached to the clew of the said and from there it goes to a cheeck block just aft of the mail sail on the port side of the boom. From there the line goes through to a block that hangs on the bottom side of the boom and down to a standup block on the deck. From there the line goes to a deck organizer and a rope clutch on the cabin house. The outhaul is made tight with a 16 Anderson winch - which  manages other lines as well. May sound complex, but it works and keeps me in the cockpit. No problems with friction or lack of purchase.

David
432, Scholarship II

>>> Bobby <capricebob at yahoo.com> 9/28/2007 12:17 PM >>>
Hey Yall,

  Currently, my outhaul consists of a line running from the clew around a single block at the end of the boom then forward to a cleat on the boom.  With this configuration, I don't seem to get much purchase and I'm not able to really get the foot tight.

  I was thinking about putting in the 4:1 configuration indicated at on this link: http://www.harken.com/rigtips/outhaul.php

  Any suggestions?

  Thanks,
  Bobby