[Public-List] Rudder construction (esp. Michael Grosh)

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Tue Apr 8 15:15:45 PDT 2008

I found where Whitby's original rudder plans were kept online at the
Alberg 30 website.  If I remember correctly, they were from an early
boat (pre 100?) and were donated by Michael Grosh.

I'm curious as to how my rudder is constructed, and I noted on the
Whitby specs that the rudder post and other bits were specced out to be
brass, which of course is not a great metal to have underwater.  I'm
hoping that maybe they changed that before they got too many rudders
made that way.

I noted "especially Michael Grosh" in my subject line, because I gather
from the archives that he has rebuilt his rudder (or inspected it
closely), and his boat is just one number older than mine, so his word
is probably as close to gold as I'll get for how my particular rudder
was constructed at the factory (Michael has #220 and I have #221).

So, my first question is whether my boat's rudder is likely to match
those specs (Michael or other hulls close to mine?)

And my second is - if it DOES match those drawings - what kind of brass
did they use?  I understand that Naval or Red are better than some
others... maybe?

Has anyone with a rudder around my number taken a peek inside?

Thanks ahead,
Rachel
1967 Alberg 30, #221