[Public-List] selecting prop for new Yanmar 3YM20

John Scott jcscott at cpsc.com
Sat Apr 19 06:56:15 PDT 2008

Hi All.

I finally made my decision and made the swap from Gray Marine to
Yanmar diesel (21 hp 3YM20).  Then I got the shock of seeing the
recommended (optimal) prop choice, a three blade 15X10 (with the
KM2P-1 gearbox ration of 2.62 in forward).  It’s huge.  Although a
13X12 is acceptable, that’s still pretty big (and as I understand it,
it can't left in neutral to reduce drag when I'm under sail because
the transmission won't get lubricated). An up side is that with a
stainless shaft I can keep the old shaft tube and stick with the 7/8
size.

For any of you with a 3YM20 (@ KM2P-1/2.62) what is the prop you’ve
selected and what has been your experience?

Thanks

John Scott
Wooshkeetaan #26