[Public-List] Rudder problem

edward schroeder eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 7 11:54:28 PDT 2008

On Emotional Rescue, #303, we had the same p[roblem 2 years ago. It was a fitting made and sold by Edson. When the new fitting arrived and was placed on the rudder post, with the key in the keyway, it was discovered that the keyway was not centered in the new Edson fitting. When the rudder was centered, the tiller was way off to the port of the cockpit.

  I reported this to Edson and after sending the new unit back, received another fitting with a similar problem but not as bad. When I complained to Edson, I was told to "leave the key out of the keyway. It does no good as it is the clamping action of the rear bolt that holds the tiller to the rudder post." This was an unacceptable answer to me.

  Edson also said that they have someone else make the bronze castings for them and Edson has no control over them. They also told me that the tiller/rudder fitting was not a big money maker for Edson and that they may drop this line.

  I ended up using the second fitting and drilled another hole, horizontally, thru both sides of the tiller fitting and thru the top of the rudder post. I used a carbon steel bolt, 1/8 inch diameter, as carbon steel is more ductile than stainless steel. This Rube Goldberg design has been in place for 2 years with some strong pressures on the tiller; there is no sign of wear on the bolt. Perhaps Edson has a better source for this fitting since then.

  Ed Schroeder, #303, Maintenance Manager for Sail Chicago

Mark Dietrich <mrkdtrch at yahoo.com> wrote:
  I have a slight problem with my tiller attachment to the rudder post on St Judith #531.
The fitting that has a keyway and slides onto the rudder post is cracked where the bolt goes through in the back. Any idea where I could get a replacement for this fitting? I discovered the crack when I was trying to get some of the play out of the tiller by inserting a shim between this fitting on the top of the rudder post and the H fitting on the tiller.
Thanks,
Mark